The Cooper Gallery presents the evocative work of internationally acclaimed photography and video installation artist Carrie Mae Weems, recipient of the 2013 MacArthur “Genius” grant and the 2015 W. E. B. Du Bois Medal. Curated by Vera Ingrid Grant, the exhibition highlights Weems' storytelling tableaux that question our social constructs of power, race, and space and pose a more multi-dimensional concept of humanity. Organized in three parts, Beauty, Legacies, and Landscapes, the installation illuminates our social and aesthetic vistas—both real and imagined—and centers on Weems' stunning expressions of black beauty.
- Artslant: Doxology: Dell M. Hamilton's BLUES/BLANK/BLACK
- Big Red & Shiny: Art and Accountability, with Dell M. Hamilton
- Big Red & Shiny: STAND UP, with Dell M. Hamilton
- Big Red & Shiny: See it Before it's Gone
- Boston Globe
- Big Red & Shiny: Issues of Power
- Harvard Magazine
- Harvard Gazette
- Bay State Banner
- Wicked Local Cambridge
- During this Historic Presidential Campaign, Carrie Mae Weems wants you to Vote!
- Don't miss Carrie Mae Weems at Jack Shainman Gallery, opening October 29th!
- Check out this NYTimes review of Carrie Mae Weems at Jack Shainman Gallery. The Cooper Gallery is mentioned!